To me…leadership means:
Bringing out the best in those around you.
So why is that such a hard concept to put into action? In order for this to happen, it requires the leader to ‘allow’ people to be their best…it means:
- not judging
- Identifying someones strengths and pointing out how to overcome some weaknesses
- drawing out vs. putting (forcing) information in
- pushing individuals to the edge (can include some confront and uneasiness)
- establishing a vision for the individuals to work too- while ‘holding’ that vision
- understanding when to use ego and when to check your ego at the door.
- Realize that you dont have to be the smartest person in the room or on the team
Over time I will continue to expand on this definition.